Wash Cycle’s CEO takes his social entrepreneurship national

Photo by Plate 3 Photography Mr. Clean by Marilyn Anthony When you think of disruption and innovation in business, the gleaming offices of Google may come to mind. But in South Philadelphia, within an ordinary coin-op laundromat at 1611 South Street, a radical business is thriving and expanding nationally. Armed with a seemingly simple market

More
6 mins read

Want to build a business, share ideas or learn new skills? Check out these 10 Philly co-working spaces

Photo courtesy of NEXUS A relatively new phenomenon that has popped up in the last 10 years, co-working spaces are pay-per-month facilities that offer communal desks, private office space and conference rooms to professionals, artists and entrepreneurs. Members are encouraged to interact, share ideas and work together to combine their diverse skills to achieve goals. Grid

More
1 min read

The Bauman Family’s centuries-old recipe with modern day ethics

Nothing but Fruit by Lindsey Walker Apple butter—a sweet, spreadable concentration of apple cider and apple sauce—is a centuries-old method of preserving fresh fruit that serves our appetite for local food and creates almost no waste.  It’s “a simple food done incredibly well,” says Michael Holahan, who co-owns the Pennsylvania General Store with his wife,

More
1 min read

American handcrafted jeans with Norman Porter Co.

A Stitch in Time by William Beisley With garment manufacturing in Philadelphia at an all-time low, a brand like Norman Porter Co. appears like a denim-clad apparition from the past.  The company’s jeans and other products have all been designed and produced with an almost bygone craftsman approach. Michael and David Stampler, brothers and co-owners

More
1 min read

Holiday Gift Guide: Gifts That Go Away

An Italian cheese plate from DiBruno Bros Everyone can appreciate a thoughtful gift—especially when it doesn’t take up permanent residence in the apartment. If you live in the city (or you’re pondering a gift for someone who does), try these small luxuries on for size: a winter facial or some handcrafted incense if someone needs

More
3 mins read

Holiday Gift Guide: Starter Kits

Photo by Jeff Sheldon The winter months are great for learning and tinkering while we wait out the weather. For the maker or doer in your life, Grid has compiled some starter kits and DIY gift baskets that will serve as inspiration as you craft the perfect gift. Maybe there’s a foodie who wants to

More
3 mins read

Holiday Gift Guide: Experiences

Meredith Klein, director of the Philadelphia Argentine Tango School, and Pablo Garcia Gomez, an Argentine native, dance at Love Park during a performance to welcome Pope Francis There are thousands of things to do and learn in the Philadelphia region, and every one of them could be a great gift. This year, create some memories:

More
4 mins read
/

We need more girls who believe they can be makers

Illustration by Corey Brickley Hack the Gender Gap by Georgia Guthrie “Wow, that seems very complicated. I don’t think I would be able to do that.” “I just started learning myself, and believe me, if I can do it, you can, too!”  I heard this snippet of conversation during the Drop In + Do, the

More
3 mins read
/

The Singularity, and the next industrial revolution

Populist Mechanics by Heather Shayne Blakeslee Followers of advances in artificial intelligence are waiting for a tipping point they call the “Singularity.” It’s the moment in time when the computers and machines that we’ve designed are smart enough to design better versions of themselves, an event that would trigger a cascade of exponential improvement—as well

More
2 mins read
1 18 19 20 21 22 29