Holiday Gift Guide: Starter Kits

Photo by Jeff Sheldon The winter months are great for learning and tinkering while we wait out the weather. For the maker or doer in your life, Grid has compiled some starter kits and DIY gift baskets that will serve as inspiration as you craft the perfect gift. Maybe there’s a foodie who wants to

More
3 mins read

Holiday Gift Guide: Experiences

Meredith Klein, director of the Philadelphia Argentine Tango School, and Pablo Garcia Gomez, an Argentine native, dance at Love Park during a performance to welcome Pope Francis There are thousands of things to do and learn in the Philadelphia region, and every one of them could be a great gift. This year, create some memories:

More
4 mins read
/

We need more girls who believe they can be makers

Illustration by Corey Brickley Hack the Gender Gap by Georgia Guthrie “Wow, that seems very complicated. I don’t think I would be able to do that.” “I just started learning myself, and believe me, if I can do it, you can, too!”  I heard this snippet of conversation during the Drop In + Do, the

More
3 mins read
/

The Singularity, and the next industrial revolution

Populist Mechanics by Heather Shayne Blakeslee Followers of advances in artificial intelligence are waiting for a tipping point they call the “Singularity.” It’s the moment in time when the computers and machines that we’ve designed are smart enough to design better versions of themselves, an event that would trigger a cascade of exponential improvement—as well

More
2 mins read

What I Made: Athena Safety Jewelry

Inventor: Yasmine Mustafa   |   Age: 33   |   Profession: CEO, ROAR for Good ROAR for Good’s first product, available in the spring of 2016, is Athena—fashionable jewelry for women’s self-defense. When threatened, the wearer presses a button, instantly sounding a loud alarm that sends your GPS via text to pre-programmed emergency contacts.

More
1 min read

October 2015: Comings & Goings

Andy Toy Joins Southeast Asian NonprofitAndy Toy, formerly of the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation, is now the development and communications manager for Southeast Asian Mutual Assistance Associations Coalition, Inc. (SEAMAAC), a nonprofit organization serving immigrants and refugees in the Philadelphia region since 1984.  “I’ve personally seen SEAMAAC grow and evolve over the last couple decades,”

More
3 mins read

13 Vintage Shops You Can’t Live Without

Vintage Shops As cooler weather approaches and you’re ready to switch over your wardrobe, you can find everything you need at Philadelphia’s growing cadre of vintage shops. A more sustainable choice than a run for cheap goods at a national chain, you’ll find handmade sweaters, fall boots, fancy holiday dresses and all the flair you

More
2 mins read

Philly’s green infrastructure plans are creating jobs and opportunity

Diving into a New Life by Marilyn Anthony Paul Johnson is an Aquarius who believes he has found his life’s work with water. A few years ago, Johnson, a 24-year old Strawberry Mansion resident, didn’t have promising prospects. An aimless year at community college, followed by a series of low-paying jobs in security, maintenance, fast food

More
2 mins read
1 19 20 21 22 23 29