/

A Case for a Cooperative Economy

Disrupting Business As Usual by Peter Frank I rely every day on cooperative businesses owned and controlled by my neighbors and friends. I buy groceries from Kensington Community Food Co-op, source my energy from the Energy Co-op, bank with Philadelphia Federal Credit Union and Sun Federal Credit Union, and drink coffee and dine at W/N

More
1 min read

R.E.Load Bags aims to make customers happy over the long haul

Built to Last by Alex Jones Since 1988, R.E.Load Bags has produced ultra-sturdy, infinitely customizable messenger bags, cycling accessories and other gear. But the company’s real strategy for sales and sustainability is playing matchmaker: Listening to what customers want, then bringing the bag of their dreams to life—and creating a product that’s meant to last

More
2 mins read
/

Co-op Member Profile: Lauren Nagy – Cooperative 518

“I love the feeling of taking part in a movement instead of going at it alone,” says Lauren Nagy, who co-founded the community farm Cooperative 518 with her fiancé in 2013. “We wanted to give our friends and peers a chance to be an equal in our vision,” she explains. That vision was to turn

More
1 min read
/

Co-op Member Profile: Neil Camp – Bryn Gweled

Nelson Camp has lived at the intentional community Bryn Gweled in Upper Southampton since 1992. “Our house was built by my in-laws after the second World War, so in a sense, the same family has lived here since the mid-’40s,” he says. The community at Bryn Gweled functions as a cooperative, but the community owns

More
1 min read
/

Amy Laura Cahn – The Advocate

portrait by Mark Likosky  “Anything I list as an accomplishment resulted from collective power and voice. Social justice—whether for land and food sovereignty, education access, housing rights or protection from police abuse—must center on collaboration, shared leadership and community power. And on the crucial fact that Black lives matter—all Black lives.”— AC Amy Laura Cahn

More
1 min read
/

Patricia Blakely – The Deal Maker

portrait by Mark Likosky “In the best of all worlds, we could buy local at competitive prices, growing jobs and the local economy.”— PB Sometimes we need a little help from our friends. It’s a simple idea that inspired the creation in 1854 of the Merchants Fund, which was there to step in and help

More
1 min read
/

Nilda Ruiz – The Builder

portrait by Mark Likosky “Bricks and mortar alone do not build healthy and sustainable communities… the shared vision and engagement of residents into the development of the physical and quality of life planning is the key ingredient to stewardship of the community’s future.”  — NR You can’t build a neighborhood or a community without building

More
1 min read
1 21 22 23 24 25 29