//

New Kid on the Block

It looks like the wait for Kensington Quarters (1310 Frankford Ave.), an ambitious combination of butcher shop, restaurant and classroom, is about to end. The restaurant is a partnership of Michael and Jeniphur Pasquarello (the owners of Cafe Lift, Prohibition Tap Room and Bufad), and a newcomer to Philadelphia, butcher Bryan Mayer.

More
11 mins read
//

Ride With Purpose: CyclePhilly app strives to make the city a better place to bike

Data from the CyclePhilly app can be used by regional transportation planners to make Philadelphia a better place to ride. | Photo courtesy of Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission’s (DVRPC)The future of Philadelphia’s bike lanes is in your hands thanks to the new smartphone app CyclePhilly. Launching the app when you start your ride allows CyclePhilly

More
1 min read

Can meat be ethical and sustainable?

The hungry locavore asks: Can meat be ethical and sustainable? Join us at Philadelphia’s exciting new co-working space The Impact Hub on Thursday, June 26 for a discussion with the leaders of the local meat movement about their practices and the innovative business models they use. Meet Dean Carlson of Wyebrook Farm; Kevin Tucker of Philly CowShare and Bryan Mayer of Kensington Quarters. Also

More
1 min read
/

From the HEART: Food Truck Serves Up Local, Sustainable Cuisine

When you think of escargot or griddled pork belly, getting it from a food truck may not come to mind. With a promise to cook from the heart and to offer environmentally sustainable and local menu options, owners of the HEART food truck, Michael Falcone and Tonda Woodling, are looking to change that. 
“We really want

More
2 mins read

Fascinated With Fermentation

Over the last eight months, Tara Whitsitt has been driving a bus teeming with bacteria, yeast and fermented food across the country. On Friday, she arrives in Philadelphia, her latest stop on a cross country tour aimed at educating people about the wonders of  kimchi, kombucha, sourdough, vegetable pickling, and all things fermentation, while

More
3 mins read

Flea Market Finds

One recent Saturday, as people filed into the Historic Strawbridge's Building at 801 Market St., the quiet hum quickly increased as people shopped and haggled for deals at the Franklin Flea. Crystal chandeliers illuminated the white marble floors, highlighting rows of handmade clothes, Polaroid cameras, vintage art, up-cycled wooden furniture, jewelry and more.
Mark Vevle created

More
1 min read

Earning Her Chops

illustration by Alexander Ciambriello

I have no interest in slaughtering animals. I have borne witness and it’s intense, hot, primal and best left to the people who are skilled at doing it quickly and humanely. But as a meat-eater, I wanted to “get to know” a whole animal in a visceral way, not just frozen packages

More
3 mins read

Going the Distance

Last spring, Philadelphia Runner Outreach Director Ryan Callahan read a text from his boss, spurring him to turn on the TV. It was April 15, 2013, and he watched in horror as multiple news stations reported on the devastation of the Boston Marathon bombing. Three people lost their lives, and about 264 others were wounded

More
2 mins read

Chards of Conversation

It all started after overhearing a conversation in Nepali. The Bhutanese couple behind me on the bus was talking about their first days in America. I had learned bits of the language years ago when I worked on organic farms in Nepal after high school, so I turned around and said, “Namaste.” Almost immediately they

More
2 mins read

Return to Power: Why we need a new Benjamin Franklin

At the peak of February’s ice storm, 715,000 households in the Philadelphia region were without power. But is being “without power” the same as being powerless? I live in a Montgomery County neighborhood that has managed to escape weather extremes: no tornadoes, hurricanes or drought-induced wild fires. But icy rain and bitter cold overwhelmed us.

More
2 mins read