/////

From libraries to homeless shelters, two friends teach youth and adults how growing food can be a path to health and resilience

Gardening quickly grew from a hobby to a passion for Pamia Coleman and Latiaynna Tabb. The friends founded the organization Black Girls With Green Thumbs (BGWGT) in 2016 after they’d spent a few years sharing their daily victories and obstacles with urban gardening via a joint Instagram account. The community-based organization focuses on education and

More
6 mins read
/

This student-led organization is on a mission to provide services to those who need them most

While the early days of COVID-19 changed our way of life overnight, those in at-risk communities instantly lost access to vital resources — a reality that prompted a handful of Stanford University students to create a Los Angeles- based organization called LA Helping Hands. Originally designed to match volunteers with seniors who needed grocery and

More
2 mins read
///

Change Is In Our Hands

Thank you, Matthew George and Bria Howard of I ♥ Thy Hood, for interrupting the news cycle that produces fear, anger, despair and disbelief. You know what I’m talking about. Is it really possible that a pandemic hit and we are unable to organize ourselves nationally to combat it? It seems likely that hundreds of

More
1 min read
/////

Museum program teaches high school students about watershed and tap water research in their communities

A  lot of americans have a vague idea of where their water comes from, says Kayla Callender, a former participant in the Independence Seaport Museum’s River Ambassador program. “We take water for granted,” she says. “We assume it’s never going to run out.” The River Ambassadors program is bridging the disconnect between citizens and their

More
3 mins read
///

Grid’s publisher dedicates the May issue to his helpful neighbors and discusses the grievances—and realizations—of COVID-19.

I was leaving for work on my creaky old bike, which now you can hear on our vacated streets. I spotted my neighbor holding a newborn, seated in a folding chair in a sliver of sunshine. “Congratulations,” I said, without rushing over. I would see her from no closer than 20 feet. She thanked me

More
2 mins read
///////

With the opening of the Discovery Center, the East Park Reservoir is once again an oasis in Strawberry Mansion

In 1970, the City of Philadelphia closed off the East Park Reservoir at the edge of the Strawberry Mansion neighborhood. A gate blocked the ramp up from Fairmount Park. “I grew up in Strawberry Mansion, and the reservoir was used by the community as a recreational space,” explains Tonnetta Graham, president of the Strawberry Mansion Community

More
2 mins read
/

Regular bike maintenance—and fixing your own flats—is easier than you think

Up Your DIY Game by Neighborhood Bike Works Staff To many people, bicycles represent personal freedom. As a means of transportation, biking means self-sufficiency (and in Center City Philadelphia, it usually means getting there faster than by car). Gaining the knowledge and experience to perform basic bike repairs oneself can take that self-sufficiency to the

More
4 mins read
1 14 15 16 17 18 29